Friday, October 9, 2015

HOW I OVERCAME FAILURE IN MATH WORD PROBLEMS (Guest post by a teacher)


Today, we have a very special guest. Shaoyang was one of the teachers I met during my contract teaching. He was motivating and was one of first teachers I learned from. He believes in doing what is right rather than what is popular.

I was pleasantly surprised when he asked me if he could post on my blog. Teachers reading and affirming my methods are always a source of motivation for me.

Today, he shares about his journey when he was younger.

Here it goes!

-----------------------------

Hi everyone!

My name is Shaoyang and I have been following Danny’s posts for a while. Some of his posts are on skills in solving word problems and I want to share my experience with you all on this aspect while I was a student.

By the way, I would like to thank Danny for letting me post on his blog. 

Problem
Does your child (and sometimes you yourself) GIVE UP EASILY in solving word problems? Do the both of you feel DISCOURAGED upon seeing SENTENCE AFTER SENTENCE in a word problem? If you answered ‘yes’, read on. If not…you still can read on.

When I was a Primary 4 student, I understood word problems like playing ‘tikam’: literally GUESSING the solutions to the word problems. Somehow, in the first 3 years of school, I survived through guessing. You (or your child) might also have this experience before and you can be sure it IS NOT A NICE FEELING.

More problems
Now, you would think that I could get through Primary 4 by guessing. Instead, I failed my Math exams in mid-year.
I WAS SHOCKED! It never occurred to me that I would fail Math.
THE BEST PART WAS MY UNDERSTANDING OF ‘SUBTRACTION’ IS AS FOLLOWS:

4 – 1 = 1, 2 OR 3.

That was how BAD my math was. I had to take action to pass my exams at the end of the year. 

A plan is hatched
NO MORE FOOLING AROUND. I decided to seek help from my parents and teachers in Math. They told me an important element to solving math word problems:

UNDERSTANDING

With guidance, I slowed down my reading of solving word problems to look out for information that will help me UNDERSTAND the word problems and solve them. As time went by, I gained more confidence in solving word problems when I saw that my most of my solutions were correct and more importantly, based on understanding, not guesswork.

THE GRAND FINISH
Then, came the turning point in the year end exams. 92 out of 100!
The JOY was beyond description! I had moved from failure to 92, double of what I have been doing! This was a tremendous milestone!

My point?
Solving Math word problems is still as difficult as ever. With resilience, guidance from mentors and understanding, you can turn them into opportunities of learning by deepening your understanding of Math concepts. Today, because of that breakthrough, I treat every Math problem as a challenge to strengthen my understanding of Math concepts! J

IF I CAN SOLVE WORD PROBLEMS, YOUR CHILD CAN TOO!
----------------------------------


I hope you benefit from this post. Please share with your friends if you find it useful.

Together, we can make a difference in educating our next generation.

Stay tuned!


No comments

Post a Comment

© Aim for the Stars in PSLE
Maira Gall